Melody Shinn


The history of Columbus Hall began with the enactment of a bill by the state legislature to found the Mississippi Industrial Institute and College at Columbus, Mississippi, on March 12, 1884. Among those who were instrumental in the chartering of the institute were as follows: Senator John McC. Martin, Col. W. H. McCardle, Dr. G. S. Roudebush, Mrs. Annie C. Peyton, and Mrs. John C. Hastings. John McC. Martin of Port Gibson was responsible for the introduction of the bill which sought to "secure an institution for the broader and higher education of Mississippi women." The city of Columbus offered approximately $100,000 in grounds, buildings, and bonds in order to secure the location of the new College (Rowland 1925, 225-226). The new institute opened on October 22, 1885 (Figure 11) as the "first state supported college for women in the United States." The central focus of the college was to provide a "literary education" for women and a locale where young women could receive training as teachers, dressmakers, and milliners, without limiting their studies to the "traditional finishing school curriculum." The college's first president was Richard W. Jones (McLemore 1973, 627).

Library of Congress Subject Headings

Mississippi University for Women--Student housing--Designs and plans; Dormitories--Designs and plans; Dormitories--Decoration--Designs and plans; Interior decoration rendering--Technique; Buildings--Conservation and restoration

Publication Date


Document Type


Department, Program, or Center

School of Art (CIAS)


Chwiecko, Nancy

Advisor/Committee Member

Wetherald, Houghton

Advisor/Committee Member

Weiss, Jeff


Note: imported from RIT’s Digital Media Library running on DSpace to RIT Scholar Works. Physical copy available through RIT's The Wallace Library at: NK2195.D6S48 1993


RIT – Main Campus